Wednesday 14 December 2011

A conversation with Tiktok

Apologies for the lack of a Kitten Monday (AGAIN!) this week. Tiktok and I engaged in the quintessential teenage-girl activity during the holidays- a sleepover and a movie marathon.

I don't really feel comfortable calling her Tiktok. She may only be, in her own words "a shadow of what she used to be", but to me she is still Penny. She likes the same movies, the same music, still laughs at our injokes. She's still my best friend. She's Penny. the part of her she calls Penny, (or She, or Her) belongs to It. She's nothing more than a marionette now.

Speaking of Her, to Tiktok's puzzlement she has not taken the reins, as it were, for quite some time. Since she started reuploading the old posts to Time Waits, in fact. Although it's tempting to assume the best, my life hasn't really worked that way for a very long time.

I transcribed a particular conversations you lot might find interesting. It is as follows:

A: So why do you call yourself Tiktok?

T: She called me that, really. Because in the beginning all I was was the ticking. I couldn't do much else, just tick and tock and tick-tock some more. Back when she was Penny and I was nothing more than self-preservation, urging her to keep away, wake up, see Him for what he was, I was just the ticking. When she lost her identity, I gained mine. And for lack of anything else to call myself, I called myself Tiktok.

A: You've said you are to Penny what Waking!Ary is to m-

T: We're the only cases of Dreaming and Waking I know of, but I hope sincerely that-

A: You sound really weird using formal language.

T: I love you too, you're a great friend- I hope sincerely that splitting the Waking self from the Dreaming self completely to hinder Him from using you for his purposes is the worst case scenario.

A: Uh...what?

T: Okay, to put it shortly, stop referring to your Waking self as separate from yourself. She's still you. You can wake up and see things for what they really are, see things for what they really are. That's probably why the letters in your name are red when you are Awake. You're asserting, to yourself, that you are still you.

A: So Waking is basically some kind of freaky superpower?

T: Not really. From what I can see, most people who are involved Him Wake sooner or later. You're unusual in that even after Waking you still can still go back to Dreaming. That worries me.

A: So what the fuck is Waking actually?

T: It's being able to see Him. That's all. Any other differences are, well- I have this idea that it's because he doesn't belong in our reality so he fucks shit up.

A: Fair. C'mon, we prolly have time to watch another terrible musical before Mum makes us go to sleep.

Personally, I find that highly informative. Anyone have any thoughts? Other than "DONT TRUST TIKTOK". (I heard you the first time, JediZero.)

Ciao for now,
Ariadne

6 comments:

  1. Very informative in my opinion.

    I still find it odd how you're apparently only able to see Him when you are Waking. I mean I can see Him just fine, @#!*% I've cracked that son of a @#!*% in the knees with a bat.

    You are certainly a very interesting girl Ary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I really doubt you did that, Raggedy. Getting that close to...'It'.

    And it bears repeating, I'm sorry that its annoying.

    I'm...honestly not sure what to do now. The most I can suggest is keep a weapon handy, and try and let 'taken over Penny' know you know about her, and see what happens.

    Maybe you can help snap her out of it. Maybe not. I don't know. Its at least something.

    ....though...I could try something. Do you happen to know Penny's current weight? And this'd be extremely dangerous. Potentially even lethal to her...but considering the alternative...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a fluke. Nothing more. And the terror of almost dying outweighed the joy of making him buckle by quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Raggedy: What Tik is saying is that Waking in itself is not unusual- You're Awake, Jedi is Awake now too. What's unusual about me is that I can go back to Dreaming.

    @Jedi: All I know is that she's heavier than I am, sorry. I can probably ask Tiktok, she'll know, but I'm not going to do anything potentially lethal to Penny as that would risk killing Tik.

    --Ary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kinda debating if it's better to be Awake. At least I can see what I'm dealing with.

    At the same time, what I am seeing is terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm...I was thinking about this whole 'Tetrodotoxin' bit...

    meh.

    And Raggedy, if you were able to even make...'It' buckle, then I'm having a hard time believing it was truly...'it'. No offense meant.

    ReplyDelete